What Is Insomnia?
What is insomnia – Insomnia is the term used for a difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep for long enough to feel refreshed the next morning on waking.
This happens despite having enough opportunity to sleep.
Sufferers feel lethargic and lacking in energy. They often have mood swings and problems concentrating on daytime tasks at work or school.
The most frequently reported problem affecting young people with insomnia is a difficulty in falling asleep (sleep-onset insomnia).
An insomniac may also experience:
- Waking during the night (what is insomnia fact-older people tend to experience this more commonly ).
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep and not being able to function normally during the day, feeling irritable and tired and finding it difficult to concentrate.
- Waking when you have been disturbed from sleep by pain or noise.
- Waking early in the morning (what is insomnia fact-the least common type of sleep disturbance).
- May not complete all stages of the sleep cycle
What is insomnia facts
Almost everybody will experience some problems sleeping at some point in their life.
Insomnia appears to be more common in women and more likely to occur with increasing age.
There are a number of possible causes for insomnia, such as anxiety, a disrupted sleeping environment, or an underlying physical condition or mental health problem.
What is insomnia and how long will insomnia last?
Insomnia can last for days, months or even years. It can be split into:
- short-term insomnia, which lasts for one to four weeks, and
- long-term (or persistent) insomnia, which lasts for four weeks or longer.
How much sleep should you get?
What is insomnia to one person is different to another personWe are all different, so it is hard to define what normal sleep is for you.The amount of sleep you need is affected by many factors, commonly these include your age, lifestyle, diet and sleeping environment.
Newborn babies can sleep for 16 hours a day, while school-age children need an average of 10 hours sleep.
Most healthy adults sleep for an average of seven to nine hours a night. As you get older, it is normal to need less sleep. Most people over 70 need less than six hours sleep a night, and they tend to be light sleepers. I hope this answers the question what is insomnia.
[simpleaffiliate source=”clickbank” results=”5″]sleep,sleep insomnia,sleep insomnia definition,sleep insomnia medication,sleep insomnia symptoms,[/simpleaffiliate]